[Sca-cooks] New here!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 5 18:02:57 PST 2007

Rocas said:
<<< I just joined, and I'm happy to be here.  By way of introduction,
I go by the name Rocas in reinactment circles.  I was formally a
member of the Blue Dragons but am looking to find and join an SCA
house that has a presence in the Lansing Michigan area.  I am, of
course, a cook and mead brewer.  I look forward to learning and
discussing period food here.>>>

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list and to the SCA!

When you say an "SCA house" are you speaking of an SCA household,
which is an unofficial group of individuals who join togather for
various purposes having to do with helping their experience in the
SCA, or are you looking for the nearby official SCA branches? You
don't have to play with the nearest SCA group. You can play with any,
or all, of them that you can get to. Some groups are more involved in
fighting, others in the arts and sciences etc, so as well as for
other personal reasons, you might choose a group that isn't the
closest to you. I believe you can find the groups closest to you on
the official SCA website, http://www.sca.org/

You might find this file in the SCA-INC section of my Florilegium
files to be of help regarding households. The address for the site is
given in my sig. line below.
households-msg    (34K)  7/ 3/05    Comments on households in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/households-msg.html

While you are there you might also want to look through the NEWCOMERS
section. There are also a number of FOOD sections that might be of
interest. I do try to get many (most?) of the period or period-like
recipes and redactions given here on this list in the Florilegium.

You mention that you are a mead brewer. Take a look at these files in
the BEVERAGES section. It is possible that you already know a lot of
this stuff, but perhaps you can find some new things. If not, feel
free to post a message here or send me an email that I can add to one
of these files so that others can learn from your experience.  If you
are ready to go beyond meads, there's also a fair amount of material
on other period beverages, both alcoholic and non.
Mead-Mkng-Tps-art  (9K)  6/23/05    "Mead Making Tips" by Byron Whited.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/Mead-Mkng-Tps-art.html
mead-msg         (170K)  7/ 5/04    Making mead. Honey based
alcoholic beverage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/mead-msg.html
meadery-list-msg  (26K)  4/ 4/02    Lists and reviews of commercial
meaderies.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/meadery-list-msg.html

Stefan
--------