[Sca-cooks] OOP Flavored Short Bread

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Nov 9 10:26:59 PST 2007

At 08:08 AM 11/9/2007, you wrote:

>I would like to add saffron to the short bread but I am wondering
>how to incorporate it, since saffron needs to bloom in hot liquid.
>But there is no liquid, hot or otherwise, in short bread. I've
>thought about blooming it in a very small amount of hot water and
>adding it in, or else melting a little bit of the butter and adding
>it that way. But I don't know what these methods might do to the
>finished product and I don't want to waste my expensive saffron if I
>don't need to.

I have had reasonably good success by grinding the saffron finely
with another ingredient- usually either salt or sugar. Not quite the
same as putting it in hot liquid, but does diffuse the flavor a bit
better. Of course, I really like saffron, and tend to use a fair
amount, unlike those who believe that it is a scribal error. :-D

'Lainie
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than
our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore