[Sca-cooks] OT OOP tedious process (was flax processing (was Breadlabor))

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 09:43:54 PST 2007

Or consumption.  Many, many years ago, when I was a sophomore in college, I took an art class on pottery.  (What fun to get dirty for credit! <g>) One of our projects involved a firing technique called "raku," if I recall the spelling correctly (Carter was president, okay? It was a *long* time ago!).  The pots are fired in a special kiln, and wet straw is used in the kiln.  ISTR it making a really pretty crackly glaze.  The kiln was set up outside, behind the library on campus.
Some officious snot turned our whole class in for smoking pot, because they'd mistaken the smell of burning straw....
--Maire