[Sca-cooks] Cookbook review

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 12 12:47:39 PST 2007

Bober is quite old by this time. The hardback appeared in 1999.
The University of Chicago Press has included it in their most recent sales
catalog so it's really cheap by this point. I thought that it was
interesting
and quite decent on the classical and ancient sections
but that it ended too soon.  FRom the UC Press website:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
List of illustrations
Preface
Introduction
1. Prehistory
2. Ancient Egypt
3. Mesopotamia
4. The Hellenic Experience
5. Hellenistic Transformations
6. Ancient Rome
7. Early Middle Ages
8. Late Gothic International Style
Appendix: Menus and Recipes
Notes
Bibliography

So it's just getting into the Gothic as it quits. I have heard that
there were plans
to publish a second volume that would have covered the Renaissance, but
sadly Bober passed away.
It's never been published.

Johnnae