[Sca-cooks] flax processing (was Bread labor)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Nov 14 06:59:12 PST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 1:51 AM, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Phlip commented:
>
> <<< Thanks, Jadwiga. I think what I was remembering was that the fibers
> were very coarse until more modern methods of retting, etc were
> developed, so it was used primarily for cordage and rough cloth. >>>
>
> Okay, I think you earlier had said that help wasn't used for fabric.
> I'm afraid I haven't had the time to reply in detail on this in the
> last few days. I'm glad Jadwiga did. Hemp cloth was definitely used
> for rough cloth. It was what the original "canvas" was made of.
> Notice the similar/same root as for cannabis. Cotton canvas takes
> it's name from it's similarity to the previous canvas, although it is
> not as tough nor does it withstand rough environment as well.
> Unfortunately, since almost all canvas cloth has to be imported to
> the US, it costs a bit more than cotton canvas. I had wanted to make
> my pavilion out of hemp canvas, but the cost, particularly because of
> the large amount needed, was too far out of my budget.

http://www.hemptraders.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=36

I've been buzzing around this site and a few others, looking into the
material. This looks like about the best price I've found, although
Dharma isn't too bad.

I'm rather interested in getting a kg of the yarn:

http://www.hemptraders.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=177

Also been looking at their wool/hemp combo, but they don't have it up
on the website, just in the catalog.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up