[Sca-cooks] Course/Remove

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 15 21:58:02 PST 2007

Course derives from Latin via Old French.  In this context, the OED shows
the earliest use of the word to be 1325, so it is highly probable that the
word was used in a similar manner in French.  Another term which appears is
"messe," essentially a group of dishes served together for two to four
people.

The three course dinner appears to have been made popular by Catherine di
Medici after she became Regent, when she became the trend-setter rather than
the patron of those apocryphal Italian cooks.

Bear