[Sca-cooks] CBS Sunday Morning

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:18:59 PST 2007

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Also, we have to remember
that this was being presented to the public...and most of the folks
viewing the program do not have anything like the knowledge and
expertise to be found on this list...especially when it comes to
historic cookery.

Kiri

On Nov 18, 2007 12:14 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
> I thought the actual segment was pretty good. It also reminded
> me to get Michael Krondl's book ordered. It's finally out.
> *The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice
> *Haven't seen it in the bookstores yet.
> We talked about him earlier this fall.
> http://www.spicehistory.net/SPICE%20%20HISTORY.html
> *
> Johnnae
> *
>

> Helen Schultz wrote:
> > Actually, she was asking questions to get him to talk (reporterers have to do that <grin>)... but, only about half ofwhat he said in that video actually ended up on the actual TV show... pepper was only one small part of the segment on spices, which I thought was fairly interesting, overall. They talked about the differences of cinnamons, nutmeg as an hallucigen (which I had foundout in college... in the late 1960's), cloves, etc. The guy talking is the author of a book on the history of spices.
> >
> > ---
> > Went and took a look, went to see the Spices preview. If that's the
> > quality of the shows in general, I think it's a series I can do
> > without. Is that lady dumber than a 5 yo, or what?
> >
> > St. Phlip

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                    -- C.E. Lawrence