[Sca-cooks] Possible bargain on knife set for anyone interested...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 19 22:10:33 PST 2007

It was said:
<<<
> [...]

True, but since I have seen (and in fact purchased) student-grade
chef's knives (the legendary 10-inch Dick, in fact) for the price of
that double-set, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Okay, I went ahead and ordered a set, since I could probably use a
nicer set, although I only bought the single set. However, one of the
comments that has come out here before when discussing knives is that
you should "try them on for size". So they might become a gift after
all.

I notice that these are forged blades with full tangs and not just
flat knife blanks.  But what else makes these a better deal than the
other knives on sale on Overstock some of which are also on sale for
similar percentages. Some knives have wooden handles, these have
plastic. What are the pros and cons of each? Since these don't have
wooden handles, why do they still need to be hand-washed? Or do they?

The set includes:
13-inch chef's knife
13-inch heavy duty slicing knife
   (I assume the two knives on the left. Which is which?)
11.5-inch utility slicer
Professional chef's cleaver
   (I thought cleavers had big square or rectangular blades. Are
those *Chinese* cleavers? Is this the one on the right next to the
sharpener?)
7-inch paring knife
    (Doesn't look 4.5 inches shorter than the 11.5 inch above it)
Six individual matching steak knives
Matching steel knife sharpener

And lastly, what is the optimum use for each of these knives? Or for
what kitchen tasks would you use each of these knives?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com