[Sca-cooks] mustard

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:08:07 PST 2007

> You ran soaked (damp) mustard seed through a coffee grinder? Does that > work?????????
It does, more or less. You can get a pretty good grind and it came out about
the same as using the mortar and pestle. But it was still pretty full of hulls
so I took the completed mustard and scraped it through a screen which produced
a very nice thick paste.
 > Hand grinding just isn't my cup of tea,

Considering I don't have a proper Medieval, gallon-sized mortar I'll be using
my grinder but this time I will probably try a batch ground first and then soaked
in vinegar. After an overnight soaking I'll add the other ingredients and then jar
the results for a month of mellowing.

>and I haven't found a mechanical thingie yet that does an adequate job.

The coffee grinder is great, but if you pre-soak the seeds make sure you give
the grinder frequent rests so you don't burn out the motor.> Maggie

Gunthar