[Sca-cooks] Anne-Maries Mushroom Pate....was RE: Thanksgiving menu

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Thu Nov 22 23:52:04 PST 2007

Happy to share, though its not medieval in any way that I can think of.
Classically oriented foodies will recognize a basic duxelle, I believe?

Mushroom Pate
(the original recipe came from my then-apprentice Genot. I've tweaked it, of
course, because that's what cooks do :))

3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion chopped
1 large clove garlic, smooshed
1 T dried thyme (I like a lot :) you might adjust this according to your own
preferences)
salt, pepper
2 T olive oil

in a large sautee pan, heat the oil, add the onions, garlic, shrooms, thyme,
about 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper.

Cook until onions are soft and the mushrooms have released their liquid and
its been reabsorbed. The mixture should be mostly dry-ish

Take 1 cup slivered almonds, gently toasted (not burnt!) I bake mine at 350
for about 8 min on a cookie sheet and then take the cookie sheet out and let
it sit while they cool. They continue to cook a bit more after you take them
out, so beware!

Whiz the almonds in the cuisinart until a paste, and add a couple T of olive
oil. Whiz until smooth.

Add cooled shroom stuff and whiz until fairly smooth. Adjust seasonings to
taste.

Makes about 2 cups

***the original calls for many Tablespoons of butter when you're cooking the
shrooms. I lightened up the recipe by switching to olive oil, and far less
of it. Because of this, you may need more seasoning than if you did the
butter version (especially salt). Side by side, you could probably tell they
were different, but most people would be hard pressed to tell me which one
was which

this is best on whole wheat type crackers, but I've been known to eat it on
toast. Your idea of it on polenta? (especially a polenta cake with some
crunch to it) sounds awesome too :)

enjoy!!
--AM