[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving menu

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 02:06:41 PST 2007

It was just the four of us for dinner: Hroar, my brother Don, my Mom and I.

The menu: Lemon Sage Turkey with Carrots, Dressing with Chestnuts and Mushrooms, Mashed Sweet
Potatos, Jellied Cranberry Sauce, and Pecan Pie for dessert.

The Mashed Sweet Potatos were from Country Crock and were fairly decent. The Jellied Cranberry
Sauce was from Ocean Spray and is an old favorite of mine.

Here is the recipe for the turkey and the carrots, done in a crock pot:

Ingredients:

6 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp ground sage
1 cup white wine
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 handfuls of baby carrots
1 turkey breast [about 3-4 lbs]

Spread one tbsp butter onto the bottom of crock pot. Add carrots evenly over the bottom.

In a small bowl, mix remaining butter, shallots, parsley, sage and white wine. Using your
fingertips, gently loosen the skin from the turkey breast, leaving it attached on one side. Spread
the lemon herb butter under the skin and on the underside of the breast. Salt and pepper to taste.

Place the breast, skin side up, on top of the carrots. Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours. When
done, transfer the turkey to a platter and slice. Spoon out the carrots and place them in a
serving bowl.

Dressing with Chestnuts and Mushrooms

Ingredients:

1 medium sweet onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 tbsp butter, melted
1 package Mrs. Cubison's dressing bread
2 cups chestnuts, chopped
2 tsp ground thyme
2 tsp ground sage
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 tsp rosemary
1 cup white wine
1 jar turkey gravy
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions and celery in butter in a skillet until tender. Pour into mixing bowl. Add dressing
bread, chestnuts, mushrooms, spices, wine and gravy. Mix well. Place into a shallow 2 quart
casserole and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups brown sugar or heaping 1/2 cup brown sugar Splenda
1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb whole pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar and the
flour and mix well. Add the milk, vanilla and nuts. Pour into an unbaked 10" pie shell.

Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 min., then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for
30 to 40 min. or until done.

I made one version of this for myself and my family. I made the Splenda version for Hroar, so that
he wouldn't feel left out. Both versions turned out very well.

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/