[Sca-cooks] Mustard - Can you cut it?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Nov 25 17:25:56 PST 2007

>     We are not after Durham mustard, later Coleman's which began to be
> developed in 1720 by a  Mrs. Clements of Durham, England who discovered
> how to grind the seed in a flour mill to obtain the more flavor.
> Suey

J.O. Swahn in his _Lore of Spices_ (title from memory) suggests that the
process that was invented at that time was not a grinding process, but one
of bolting the mustard powder, that is, passing it through successively
finer screens to remove the outer hull of the mustard seed. I can find
that quotation for you if you like. I have found that sieving ground
mustard seed does make the texture more like that of dried English ground
mustard.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net