[Sca-cooks] Precious stones to ward off evils

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Nov 26 20:33:55 PST 2007

I think there are some prehistoric jade finds in Europe.

Ogden's book on jewelery in classical antiquity goes through the
question of European jades in considerable detail; as best I
remember, he concludes that every case is a misidentification. It
seems to have been regarded as a new gemstone when the Spanish
brought it back from the New World, hence the Spanish name.

>A rumored little jade Buda found in an early Norse grave not withstanding it
>is my understanding that jade was relatively unknow in Europe through out
>all but late period as it was a gem of the orient and the new world.
>
>I suggest that diamonds would have been of less value as a gem stone in
>period compaired to stones more easily worked and of more vivid hues.  Its
>value would have been that it would scratch all other stones and metal as
>well.

As best I recall, Cellini includes diamond among the precious stones.

>It is my conjecture that a persona of 15th century Christian Spain would
>intersect with Moslem and Jewish traditions but would not yet have direct
>access to the orient or the new world.

Yes.

>The only direct "period" reference I have would be to a translation of a
>period Arab book of gems and my notes on that are on a hard drive that I
>cannot access presently.

Pliny discusses the properties of gemstones in some detail. But he's
generally sceptical.

One of my favorite bits is where he mentions that if you put a
certain stone beneath your pillow, in your dreams you will see the
future.

Or at least, he adds, you will see it as well as the soothsayers do

I think Albertus Magnus discussed stones too--that should be fairly
easy to find. _De Lapidibus_? There are a number of medieval European
lapidaries with such information.

>Daniel

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com