[Sca-cooks] Hobart/Kitchenaid/Conair etc...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 27 18:16:28 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

>>> That must be when they went from metal construction for the
>>> attachments
>>> to plastic.  I have my mom's grinder attachment as well as my own,
>>> they
>>> are pretty much identical except for the material.  I'm a bit
>>> rough on
>>> my utensils [blush] so I try to avoid the plastic.
>>>

>> Oh, my gosh! Those are plastic??? And not plastic or enamel-coated
>> metal??? I had no idea!
>>
>> D**n, now I'm definitely not going to bother with one, and definitely
>> will pursue the Robot-Coupe plan (yes, I know they're not
>> functionally
>> interchangeable, but if you have room for only one mucking great
>> kitchen appliance).
>>
>> Now that I've actually got a little extra room via The Kitchen
>> Counter
>> That Ate My Dining Room...
>>
> What's a "Dining Room"?

Well, in my case, it's probably really a breakfast nook, but if you
think of a room that's a kitchen at one end, divided at the waist with
the aforseyd breakfast nook at the other end, that's what we've got.
At some point near the middle the tile walls and floor end and become
sheetrock and parquet, respectively, and there's like a table and
chairs and a couple windows and a china closet, etc. Basically two
small rooms with a doorway the same dimensions as the rooms themselves.

In practice what this means is that various kitchen cabinets have sort
of encorached into the dining room over the years, and we just brought
a big, brand-new butcher-block cabinet over from my mom's apartment,
and it's almost identical in height and depth to our kitchen counters,
so it's effectively an extension into the dining room. On the plus
side, it means there might be room for various things like a food
processor to sit out on a semi-regular basis.

And then, when we do serious cooking, there tends to be more people
eating it than we can fit in the dining room, anyway.

Ah, the joys of urban apartment living...

Adamantius