[Sca-cooks] OT & OOP: Sweeney Todd movie

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 29 12:59:16 PST 2007

Adamantius wrote:
>There are practically no words to express the trepidation I feel as we
>approach the release of this travesty of one of the greatest musicals
>ever written.

Good thing i'd already swallowed my mouthful of coffee before reading
your post. I hope my neighbors didn't hear me braying in laughter.
Your message was, as always, erudite, brilliantly worded, and to the
point.

Johnny Depp is older than one might think. He is, however, just too
beautiful to have suffered as Sweeney Todd did in the musical - the
original history and melodrama were something else - murder for
pleasure and money.

I generally am no fan of musicals, but Sondheim is always
extraordinary. In the end, i will go see the film, burtonized and
dipped-in-depp as it will be. I just have to get the CD of the
original show as an antidote.

cailte wrote:
>i saw the trailer last night when i went to see HD/3D
>beowulf.  it looks pretty good but how true to the
>original is debatable as always... er, both beowulf and
>sweeney todd. 8)

Err, after seeing a couple trailers for Beowulf, and seeing as how it
looked like a bad video game, well, wild horses couldn't drag me,
etc. The opinions of others may differ...

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita