[Sca-cooks] OT & OOP: Sweeney Todd movie

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Nov 29 14:43:35 PST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> I think these people just aren't stage performers and for the most
> part, never will be, and that this musical just doesn't translate well
> to being shrunken down. All the post-1980 revivals have had to work in
> smaller spaces, with smaller casts and smaller orchestras, and they
> have invariably suffered as a result. Actually, the Burton thing does
> seem to have a full, and rather rich-sounding orchestral background,
> which will help a whole lot, but nobody in it has that booming stage
> presence the show really needs.
>
> Except maybe the actor playing Tobias Ragg. ;-)
>
> On a side note, I had forgotten earlier to mention my other favorite
> production of Sweeney Todd: about six minute's worth of the opening of
> Act II appears in Kevin Smith's movie "Jersey Girl". 17 people on the
> planet have seen it. Apart from gratuitous Ben Affleck as Sweeney,
> it's actually an enormous amount of fun. George Carlin gets killed and
> everything!

[snip]

> Adamantius

I prefer to think of this attempt as a Sweeney Todd *themed* movie, rather
than a faithful retelling of the original.

Did anybody notice that in the trailer they sort of totally gloss over
what Mrs. Lovett actually *does*, and they totally ignore what happens to
the bodies that Sweeney seems to be scattering about?

Margaret FitzWilliam