[Sca-cooks] Armored Turnips

jah at twcny.rr.com jah at twcny.rr.com
Thu Oct 4 07:47:15 PDT 2007

Hello,
Yes, the original recipe does have ginger in it.
I used to make it all teh time.

Here is the recipe:

Armored Turnips
Platina book 8

Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the
ashes.
Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should be
smaller morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter
or liquamen, make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips,
and so on, all  the while pouring in spice and some butter, from
time to time. This dish is quickly cooked and should be eaten quickly,
too.

1 lb turnips (5 little)
10 oz cheddar cheese
2 T butter
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t pepper  (used white pepper)

Peel and slice thin the turnips,  Boil them about 40 minutes,
rinse and let cool,to make them easier to  work with.
Put a light layer of melted butter on the bottom of the pan.
Layer turnips after the butter, then a layer of spices, then
cheese. Continue the layering of turnips, spices and cheese until full.
A  9"x5" baking pan is good, and bake 30 minutes at 350deg.

You can leave the ginger out.  I always use white pepper
in this recipe so it does not make the color of the dish
look funny.  Just be sure to use very sharp cheddar cheese
to make up for eth "bite" in the dish.

Jules/Catalina