[Sca-cooks] The ice cream's a makin' ;-)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Oct 11 20:35:46 PDT 2007

So, as is usual, just as soon as I figured I had all the ingredients,
couldn't find some. For example, knew there were a dozen eggs in
there, but when I looked, only 11. Consequently, since I needed the
volume, my version is 10 egg yolks and one whole egg. And, the brown
sugar vanished, and I was going to reduce the amount anyway, so I used
a cup of white sugar and added a good dollop (a dollop being a
technical term Adamantius taught me) of molasses. After all, modern
brown sugar is made by adding molasses to white sugar, so why not?
Likely not as rich, but I tweaked that a bit too.

So far, I started with about two tablespoons of the Red Curry paste,
mixed and stirred with about 2 tablespoons of peanut oil- decided to
go with peanut oil instead of butter, since I got convinced by you
guys to make a peanut sauce for it ;-) Was going to do the same
proportion of cream to milk as before- 1:3, but my carton was almost
empty when I got the cup out of the cream carton, so I added anoher
1/3 cup, roughly, to the curry mix, added that to the egg/sugar mix,
stirred, then 3 cups of milk. Everything was well stirred, and it's
now all sitting on the stove, being stirred occasionally, until it
thickens.

Decided to taste it, and beyond the strong taste of raw egg yolks, it
actually has a nice flavor. Will finish custardizing it, cool it, then
into the ice cream machine- hopefully this will happen before all the
ice Rob got me melts.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

Denial of evidence is not refutation of evidence.

Blessed be the self-righteous, for they shall inherit themselves.