[Sca-cooks] Accomplish'd Lady's Delight

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 16 04:05:31 PDT 2007

The full title for the book in question I think must be:

The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving, physick, beautifying, and
cookery containing I. the art of preserving and candying fruits &
flowers ..., II. the physical cabinet, or, excellent receipts in physick
and chirurgery : together with some rare beautifying waters, to adorn
and add loveliness to the face and body : and also some new and
excellent secrets and experiments in the art of angling, 3. the compleat
cooks guide, or, directions for dressing all sorts of flesh, fowl, and
fish, both in the English and French mode .../, London : Printed for B.
Harris, and are to be sold at his shop ..., 1675.

382 pages for this one but that varies greatly among editions. Only 200
for a later edition. As Mistress Brighid noted EEBO lists 1675, 1684,
1696 as having been microfilmed and then scanned for their online
collection.

The English Short Title Catalogue lists editions for 1675, two different
editions for 1677, 1683, then in the 18th century
it lists 1706, 1719 and one as [1720].

Sometimes attributed to Hannah Woolley.
Seventeenth century editions have the preface signed: T. P.

Bibliographies vary as to wrote the book. Woolley was dead by the
time it appeared, but she is often credited as the book contains recipes
from earlier credited works by her. 18th century editions often appear
credited to T.P. A number of catalogues just list it safely as ANON. or
uncredited.

Given as the 1675 edition [London : Printed for B. Harris, and are to be
sold at his shop ..., 1675]  is available on EEBO's Text Creation
Partnership where it can be downloaded
and keyword searched by academic audiences with access, do you suppose a
publisher would be interested in reprinting an edition of it now? I
presume of course that you must have spent considerable time retyping
out the book but given that EEBO-TCP already has it available in the
nice searchable version, I would think most people would like that version.

Johnnae