[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Gallons of gravy

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 21 18:29:36 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
I know that this in not period but I need some advice on how to make a
couple of gallons of gravy.  I am do a dinner for around fifty or so folks
of roasted turkey with new potatoes, pumpkin pie,  garlic butter , steamed
veggies and gravy.  I want to make a couple of gallons and I have not done
that quantity before.  I will have the pan drippings from the turkey but I
don't think that they will be enough to flavor a couple of gallons of gravy.
Any help out there?   Dan in Auburn > > > > > > > >>

Simmer the giblets (not livers; add wing tips if available) in a couple
quarts of water for about 30 minutes and add water back to half gallon.
Then, you can use a turkey base (high end boullion) or chicken broth in a
pinch, . . . or buy some turkey necks/backs to make a good broth out of them
for your gravy (sauce veloute).  We can get necks most any time of year
around here.

niccolo difrancesco