[Sca-cooks] Halvah marzipan or nougat?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 23 01:39:39 PDT 2007

Adamantius wrote:
>Halvah, hulwa, etc., are presumably Persian or Arabic in origin, and
>generally have in common a cooked sugar-syrup base (or sometimes a
>fruit syrup, such as date or pomegranite). They may or may not
>contain beaten egg white, which is probably where the confusion with
>nougat or torrone come in, and chopped nuts or other starchy staple,
>such as sesame seed, simple flour or semolina. Some contain milk or
>eggs. Today it's found all over the Islamic world, which is
>presumably how Spain got it.
>
>There are quite a few Islamic hulwah recipes in sources such as Kitab
>al Tabikh, which I seem to recall is somewhat older than the 15th
>century -- the recipes are sort of formulaic and modular, as I
>recall, with instructions on how to make sugar syrup, then a basic
>candy from that, with egg whites, then going on to add things like nuts.

The problem is that halwa just means "sweet (dish)". The term does
not indicate a specific dish.

I've had halwa made of semolina cooked with water and honey. It was
like a very sweet thick porridge while hot, and set up into something
fairly stiff (like polenta) when cooled and could be cut into pieces.

There's no set ingredient for halwa except sugar or honey, so there
are almost infinite possibilities for combinations.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita