[Sca-cooks] Jules/Catalina's Book, good bye

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 26 09:07:38 PDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Michael Gunter wrote:

> I'm not saying the poster was lying or anything like that. I do see
> it as
> a common situation on many lists and forums. If she wished to stay and
> learn and share she would be welcome here. But if she wishes to throw
> a temper tantrum, take her ball and go home all the while asking for
> sympathy for her condition then she is equally free to go. The
> people on
> this list are extremely generous with their time and knowledge and we
> accept a wide range of gentles. I also hope that the people who lurk
> on
> here are not intimidated from speaking opinions or asking questions.
> Everyone
> is allowed to contribute but everyone needs to be aware that this
> group
> loves to debate and get to the real truth of the matter.

Well, then there's the fact that the lady suggested that she's got a
disorder that might make it difficult to distinguish between proper
and improper behavior, being told pretty specifically (and politely),
"this is generally considered proper behavior by most people under
most circumstances, and this is not, and what was said to you was not
in fact unreasonable." You might think such a person might say to
herself, "Well, I don't seem to be getting this right, and here's this
person suggesting I do this, instead, maybe I should try it instead of
assuming the person saying this to me is evil."

Well, okay, I certainly wish for anyone in such circumstances to get
whatever help they need to live a better life, and I certainly don't
want people to feel driven out of the SCA by evil people such as
myself, but there seems to be an almost inexhaustible supply, many of
whom can be "saved" with somewhat less effort.

At the moment, with difficulties of my own to deal with, I'm probably
going to devote most of my efforts in this area on _them_.

> Sorry to hear about the freckles. I'm sure there is an elist support
> group
> as well as a section in the Floriegium to help you deal with the
> issue. There
> is also a fund-raising concert featuring Bono of U2 being held in
> Bolivia next
> month to raise awareness of the tragedy of freckles.

My DKos diary on living with congenital freckle disorder will bring
tears to your eyes...

Adamantius