[Sca-cooks] Searching for Period Italian Leek Soup recipe

Helen Schultz meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 27 15:00:39 PDT 2007

This is by far NOT a period recipe (but, thought I'd throw it out here anyway), and I have no idea what country it is from, but I have used it in feasts before (being sure to let them know it isn't a period recipe) and it is loved by everyone.  It does have period ingredients, though <sheepish grin>... this is for about 6-8 servings, but it has been adjusted up for as many as 100 without taste problems.

LEEK-ALMOND AMBROSIA

1 large leek, white part sliced into thick rounds (I include the very light green parts, too... adds a little color to the soup)
1/2tsp saffron threads
4 cups chicken stock(we use non-fat/low sodium whenever possible)
1/2 cup ground blanched almonds (love food processors <grin>)
1 cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks
salt and white pepper (to your personal taste)
pinch of nutmeg

Steep the threads in1/4 cup of heated stock for about 20minutes.  Saute the leeks in butter until limp.  Add leeks, stock, saffron and leeks to a large pot and simmer over low heat about 20 minutes.  Whisk cream with the egg yolks and then add to the stock, stirring constantly (don't let it boil).  When the eggs and cream are heated through, season with the salt and pepper and serve.  If doing individual servings, you can sprinkle the nutmeg on top for garnish... I usually just add it with the salt and pepper... it does add to the flavor.

~~Katarina Helene