[Sca-cooks] Bugs in grain

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 12:14:32 PDT 2007

> I've been baking for, oh, about 30 years, give or take, in various houses
> and apartments, both places I've lived and places I've visited, all across
> the state of Michigan and across the United States, and I've never, ever,
> EVER had bugs in my flour.

I got them only once, in wheat germ bought in bulk. The wheat germ was fine
for about two weeks after we brought it home, then we started seeing a bug
escaping the closet every time we opened it. They looked like moths,
actually, and the bag of wheat germ was FULL of wriggling moths.

Soon afterwards we noticed the moths flying around the bulk store where I'd
bought the wheat germ, and it took several months for them to get rid of the
infestation - I guess, for them, it's not as simple as throwing out the bag
of flour and starting over, especially if one of their suppliers keeps
shipping infested bags....