[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: regional cheese variations

Juliann juliann at juliann.net
Tue Oct 30 21:09:21 PDT 2007

This question has been bothering me for a while but I think I might
finally have found the people who can answer it :)

I have a food intolerance to cheeses that originate in Britain or its
colonies (particularly Ireland, America and Australia).  I have
issues with a few continental European cheeses like Gouda and Fontina
to a lesser degree, but for the most part I can eat any continental
cheese that isn't blue/veined -- even if it is actually made in
Britain/America/Australia. Also goat cheese seems to be OK no matter
the country of origin.

I have yet to figure out *what* is causing me problems.  It's not a
question of rennet or un/pasteurization.  Beyond that I do not know
enough about the cheesemaking process to understand why certain
cheeses upset my digestion but others are perfectly fine.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

--Brygyt
(American expat in Britain married to an Australian -- three strikes
in cheese terms!)