[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: regional cheese variations

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Wed Oct 31 17:17:30 PDT 2007

Disclaimer: I don't know very  much about cheese making (although it is
eventually something that I'd like to do, there are more pressing issues on
my to do list :-)

However, I was reading an article in the LG earlier today about milk, and it
mentioned that the acidity content of milk is crucial to the type of cheese
you want to make. Gruyere requires milk that is less acidic, Camembert a bit
more. Maybe the acid level has an incidence on microbial activity and its
by-products? (I'm not a biologist either, obviously :-))

This may match your intolerance pattern, if we could confirm this for other
cheese which you have tested.

Petru