[Sca-cooks] Ice Cream, or, Making a pig of myself ;-) OOP

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Oct 10 07:21:18 PDT 2007

So, R&M were gone last night, will get back tonight, so I made myself
some comfort food, a Southern style country meal- Fried chicken, green
beans, galicked mashed potatoes, tomatoes and basil doused in balsmaic
vinegar, and cukes and onions in sour cream. No biscuits- just not in
the mood for bread. Having fed my inner kid, today I decided I wanted
to experiment with ice cream. The first batch I made was excellent-
following recipe, multiplied times 4, to make a gallon:

Fresh Coffee Ice Cream Recipe

Ingredients:
6 egg yolks
4 tablespoons fresh coffee (finely ground)
8 oz (200g) soft brown sugar (light)
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c heavy cream
6 fl.oz (approx 185ml) very hot water

Take the finely ground coffee and pour the water onto it then let it
stand for about 10 mins. You then need to remove the coffee grounds so
strain the mixture.

In a heatproof bowl mix together the sugar and egg yolks, then whisk
until thick and pale. Whisk in the milk and the coffee, then put the
bowl over a saucepan of simmering (though not boiling) water. Cook
until the mixture is thick (ie. until it forms a layer on the back of
a wooden spoon) being sure to stir it all the time. Take the saucepan
off the heat and place the bowl to one side to cool.

NB. If you want to prevent a skin forming on the mixture you can try
covering the surface with a piece of damp, greaseproof paper. When
cool, transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker and follow
the manufacturer's instructions.

In this case, I used espresso rather than regular coffee, and threw a
couple tablespoons of the plain ground espresso in for a bit of
color/texture. Doused with my homemade chocolate sauce, it was great
;-)

This tells me, btw, that this is a good base recipe for ice cream, so,
being inclined to experiment (and having had Rob promise me to bring
home 3-4 bags of ice for the machine) I think I'm going to finally try
to make the curry ice cream I've been thinking about, ever since I saw
one of the guys make it on Iron Chef.

Same recipe as above, except instead of coffee I intend to use a good
dollop of Red Thai Curry Paste. I intend to mix it up with some butter
at a low heat (this type of curry paste requires fat to dissolve),
then mix that with some heavy cream, and use all that to make the
custard, as described above.

Question- The previous recipe had the hot water as extra fluid to make
the entire batch above into a full quart. In order to increase the
volume as above, should I add more milk, more cream, or a little of
both? I'll be doubling this recipe, because my ice cream maker
requires a minimum of 2 quarts to work right.

Second question- I'm thinking that a sauce on this might go very well,
possibly a caramel sauce. Anybody have any recipes, or other
suggestions? "Forget the whole idea" is NOT an acceptable option ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

Denial of evidence is not refutation of evidence.

Blessed be the self-righteous, for they shall inherit themselves.