[Sca-cooks] Horchata -nutsedge

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:37:34 PDT 2007

Devra wrote:
> . .  The groundnut may have been introduced into Europe as early as 1597 and was reportedly an important forage food during the Civil War.
> . . . another entry:
>
> Cyperus esculentus, also called nutsedge, earth almond, tiger nut, chufa (Portuguese and Spanish)
>
> Nutsedge has a long history of cultivation beginning 4,000 years ago in ancient Egypt. From there?it made its way throughout the Middle East. In the Middle Ages, the Moors introduced nutsedge into Spain.... The most famous preparation ...is the Spanish beverage? horchata de chufa. It is made by soaking the crushed tubers in water, straining out the solids, and adding cinnamon, sugar,?vanilla, and crushed ice. In some areas people roast the tubers, then grind them and use them as a caffeine-free coffee substitute.?
>
> So probably what we were talking about isn't the groundnut, but the nutsedge...
>
> Devra the confused?

[SCA-cooks] Horchata - Barley Water message clarifies this but anyway
horchata was a common drink among Hispano-Muslims, especially in Cordova
by the 10^th C at least using the nutsedge, tiger nut or chufa nut (L.
/Cyperus/ /esculentus/) which was the forerunner of the tiger nut milk
or /horchata /drunk in Valencia today. In 15^th C. Castile, horchata was
made from orange* *flower water and barley, almonds or other nuts while
in England it became almond milk. Later, Valencians substituted barley
with rice as it was more economical for them due to the large production
in the area. It was not until the late 17^th C that they used nutsedge
to make the horchata known today consisting of the juice from the
macerated tubers, water, sugar and lemon peel and served cold especially
in summer.