[Sca-cooks] armored turnips, please stop this thread!

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 14 08:43:09 PDT 2007

Jules/Mistress Catalina wrote:
>  Thanks for the e-mails.
>  But your responses are exactly why I do not post to the list much.
SNIP
>  Please stop e-mailing trying to "correct me".
>  I have researched thousands of recipes in the 30 years
>  I have been doing medieval cooking, I do have a clue as to what I am
>  doing!
>
>  Good luck to all of you in your quest to make teh "perfect"
>  medieval dish.  I have done it and have moved on to writing books.

The thing about e-mail lists is that a person who starts a thread is
not the only person on the list to whom the topic may be of interest.

Further, the original post may inspire posters to ramble off in
directions not anticipated by the original poster and no longer aimed
at the original poster.

Additionally, as most of us know, those who post make up a tiny
number of those reading a list. So even if a thread is no longer of
interest to an original poster, or if issues in a thread are not
directly related to the original post, the thread may be helpful or
useful or informative to people other than the original poster.

I know i've taken questions or information posted on some lists as
jumping off points to discuss subjects in directions perhaps not
intended by the original poster.

Posting to a list opens a topic to general conversation and the
thread may meander away from the original poster's intent. And
threads can be useful to people other than those who started a thread.

Often a thread i've started diverges widely - or even wildly - from
my original message. I don't take offense. This list is a big
conversation and i know i am not the center of attention. Once a
thread gets going, i do not assume that i personally am being
addressed by the responses. And what is mentioned in messages may not
be of interest or use to me, but may be quite helpful (or amusing) to
other posters and lurkers.

In this case, some of the information shared may not be of interest
to Jules/Mistress Catalina, but might be useful to other posters and
to folks we don't even know are reading.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita