[Sca-cooks] Hannah's titles was Accomplish'd Lady's Delight

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 17 06:48:59 PDT 2007

Although The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving is a compilation
and probably
not the work of Hannah Woolley or Wooley r Wolley, there are books by
her available.
(Powells currently lists a third edition 1683 for $2200, should anyone
want an antiquarian copy
of The ALDelight.)

Prospect Books published another work credited to her.
Woolley, Hannah. The Gentlewomans Companion. Or, A Guide to the Female Sex.
Totnes,
Devon, U.K.: Prospect Books, 2001. Hardcover. 269 pp. ISBN:
0_907325_99_8. [A
Reprint of the complete text of the 1675 second edition. Also includes
an Introduction by
Caterina Albano, pp. 7_50; A Note on the Text by Tom Jaine, p. 6; and a
Glossary by
Tom Jaine, pp. 247_269.] My review appears in the MoAS newsletter in 2002.
It can be found at:
arts.atenveldt.com/Portals/arts/Newsletters/jul2002.pdf

Hannah, however, protested in another volume that she didn't write the
Gentlewoman's Companion.
It's all explained in the excellent introduction written by Caterina Albano.

Amazon lists The Queen-like Closet or Rich Cabinet * *as an
IndyPublish.com  publication in hardcover for
prices ranging from $34 to $46 or as a paperback for $27.99. Or it's
available in a BiblioBazaar paperback in either large print
or regular print at less than $17.00. You can even take a look at the
text by searching inside the book
at Amazon.

BiblioBazaar is offering a list of their culinary reprints at
 http://www.bibliobazaar.com/subcat_booklist.php?cat_id=218 but they
fail to list The Queen-like Closet
or Moxon's *English Housewifery *under cookbooks.

Johnnae

.

Johnna  wrote 10/16/2007 7:05 AM snipped