[Sca-cooks] My problem cooking lentils

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 20 12:29:49 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
I was thinking, A, that maybe the easiest way for her to test the
water idea is to get a gallon of distilled water from the store, and
try a batch. Neither lentils nor gallons of bottled water are terribly
expensive, and this might give her an idea. I don't think we ever cook
lentils for longer than an hour, pretty much at a mumbly simmer.  > > > > >

You could also be dealing with some old, stale lentils.  Really old legumes
and such will get tough and resist softening, so getting a new supply froma
stor ethat presumably moves stock would give you a surity on that front
while using the distilled water and soda . . . dancing with the ceremonial
head dress and chanting the lentil cooking song.

niccolo difrancesco
(serious about old lentils ,. . . silly about the last part . . . all the
ideas present previous could be very very helpful)