[Sca-cooks] Question about a spice recipe

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:57:58 PDT 2007

I remembered this and thanks to the Florilegium here's that post :

I think this what you need.

Johnnae

From: James Prescott <prescotj at telusplanet.net>

Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Le Viandier *Spice* uestion

To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>

 snipped

Taillevent.  Le Viandier.  Published as L Viandier de Guillaume

Tirel dit Taillevent edited by J. Pichon and G. Vicaire 1892.  Second

edition 1893.  Third edition edited by S. Martinet.  Slatkine

Reprints.  Geneva.  1967.

>  Does anyone have this resource in its original form? I would like

>  t include it in my "Fine *Spice*" documentation, but i'd like to

>  verify the source.

Somewhere I have my research photocopies of Pichon & Vicaire, and

could type in the French original.  Just not immediately.

My translation reads:

222. *Spice* Powder.

 Grind ginger (4 parts), cassia (3 1/2 parts), nutmeg (2 parts),

pepper (1 1/2 parts), long pepper, cloves, grains of paradise and

galingale (1 part each).  (A recipe quoted by Pichon et al., p. 26.)

 A citation for the translation would read:

Tirel, Guillume. <i>Le Viandier de Taillevent:</i> c. 1395. Trans.

James Prescott. 2nd ed. Eugene: Alfarhaugr Publishing Society, 1989.

 I hope this helps.  If you need the French original typed in, including

whatever Pichon & Vicaire say about where it came from, let me know.

 *Thorvald*