[Sca-cooks] Bugs in grain

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Sat Oct 27 13:24:03 PDT 2007

>  It's not like the nasty flour bugs, that come in as eggs
>> with the flour.
>
> Years ago my aunt told me to freeze any grain product for 48 hours after
> purchase, she said it killed the eggs in the product.  I do and have never
> had a problem since.

I've been kind of curious about this whole business.

I've been baking for, oh, about 30 years, give or take, in various houses
and apartments, both places I've lived and places I've visited, all across
the state of Michigan and across the United States, and I've never, ever,
EVER had bugs in my flour.  I think the closest I've come is the one time I
found an earwig in the bag of cornmeal, and that was after the bag had been
open for a while.

I buy all kinds/brands of flour - right now I've got a 5 lb. sack of
Pillsbury unbleached all-purpose (open), a 5 lb. sack of White Lily (open)
and a 5 lb. sack of yellow cornmeal (open).  I've checked them or used them
all recently and none of them have anything obviously crawling around in
them.  I've never done anything with my flours other than leave them in the
paper sack they came in, rolling down the top after it's been opened.

Am I just lucky?  I've probably jinxed it now, just by asking...

 -Helena