[Sca-cooks] Jam was Medieval Questionnaire

aeduin aeduin at roadrunner.com
Mon Oct 29 13:54:35 PDT 2007

I've seen it as jellies are clear, jams are
not.  And with homemade product as opposed to
store bought, preserves are canned jams.

Definitions from 1st ed. of the Penguin Guide to Food:

Jam:  a mixture of fruit and sugar boiled
together, poured into jars and sealed to give a
long-keeping preserve with a wet, semi-solid consistency.

Jelly:  a word applied to items made from
flavoured solutions mixed with a setting agent
and then allowed to cool.  Farther down in the
entry it refers to 'jelly preserves' are like jam
but use strained fruit juice rather than
pulp.  In N. America, however, jelly is a general term for jam.

aeduin