[Sca-cooks] Jam (was Medieval Questionnaire)

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Oct 29 16:17:28 PDT 2007

>Rumpolt Confect 23. Ungarische Pflaumen Confect / es sei weiß oder braun. Nimm die sauren Weichesl / und thu die Stengel darvon / setz sie in einem Kessel auf dz Feuwer oder Kolen / und laß auf sieden / denn sie geben von sich selbst Saft genug. Wenn sie kalt sein / so streich sie durch ein Härin Tuch / thu sie in ein uberzindten Fischkessel / und setz auf Kolen / laß sieden / und rürs umb / daß nicht anbrennet. Und wenns halb eingesotten ist / so nimm gestossenen Zimt und Nelken darunter / machs wohl süß mit Zucker / und laß darmit sieden / biß wohl dick / setz hinweg / und laß kalt werden / so kanstu es aufheben / so helt sichs ein Jar oder zwei.
>
>Hungarian Plum Preserves/ be it white or brown.  Take the sour cherries/ and take the stems from it/ set them in a kettle over the fire or coals/ and let simmer/ until they give from themselves enough juice.  When it is cold then strain it through a hair cloth/ put them in a tinned fishkettle/ and set on coals/ let simmer/ and stir up/ that it doesn't burn.  And when it is half cooked/ then take a little ground cinnamon and cloves in it/ make well sweet with sugar/ and let simmer together/ until it well thickened/ take away/ and let cool/ so you can lift it/ and keep it in a jar or two.

Ok, I made a translation mistake.  It should be "Jahr" or "year".  Keep it a year or two.

The other word used for this fruit substance is "Latwerge" which comes from the word "Electuarium, from Greek "ekleikhein", to lick up.  Modern definitions of "Electuary" say it is a medical remedy in syrup.

Ranvaig