[Sca-cooks] Jam

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Oct 30 06:54:49 PDT 2007

> But given what Wilson writes (above) a jam derived from a conserve with
> the
> recipes occurring in the later part of the 1600s.  That didn't mean that
> someone (as Christianna wrote) made up a recipe that turned out softer and
> less solid than the conserves were expected to be.  (And I'm not saying
> that the conserves were "solid", just more solid than current jams.)

There are a number of preserves in the 1587 _Good Huswife's Jewel_ which
call for equal weights of fruit and sugar and the use of whole fruit. When
I looked at that last night, I wasn't sure whether that was jam or fruit
in syrup. Today, it occurred to me to look it up, and the Fannie Farmer
Cookbook on Bartleby says of Jams: "require equal weight of sugar and
fruit."

Comparing the recipes from the Fanny Farmer (1918) edition
http://www.bartleby.com/87/0037.html and the Good Huswife's Jewel may be
illuminating as to the relations of the English conserves and preserves
mentioned in Good Huswife to 'modern' preserves.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net