[Sca-cooks] tablecloth, shroud or food cover?

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 30 14:08:05 PDT 2007

Suey wrote:

>Can't find the message but someone said yesterday there is a 6th C
>painting of the Last Supper with a tablecloth. Now I find this
>confusing. Is this a symbolic reference to the Shroud of Turin? I do
>find some Jewish references to a leather tablecloth and to clothes
>covering food to keep the flies away but not to linen table coverings.
>Does anyone have more data on the history of the tablecloth?
>Suey

That would be me.  It's actually a mosaic, not a painting, and it
appears in Roy Strong's _Feast_, and the subject is the Last Supper.
There is a cloth on the table.  I don't have a lot of other material on
this period in my posession, but I'm guessing that the depiction of a
tablecloth isn't unique.  What this could have to do with the Shroud of
Turin (which didn't surface 'til the 14th century) is beyond me.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?