[Sca-cooks] Bread Labor

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Tue Oct 30 19:02:26 PDT 2007

Greetings all.

My cooks guild has been having an interesting discussion regarding the
physical labor of making bread.  What it mostly boils down to is how long  in
period it might have taken to make a loaf of bread.  There is a pretty  rabid
apprentice in the midst who usually goes down the path of grow your own  grain,
grind it, etc.  That in turn put the rest of the guild into just how  long that
might take.  So they started with sewing and growing the  grain, how much wheat
 would be needed for 5 pounds of flour, then mill it,  how long, (I think
they have way too much time on their hands, and I will try  and fix it quickly).
Has anyone here gone to the trouble of calculating  that?  Here is another
left turn.  How many man hours of kneading  equals 1 hour on the bread hooks of
the Hobart?

We have had a couple of discussions about just how large a kitchen staff
would need to be to pull off a feast for 100, from scratch.  It seems the  bakers
take up a fair amount of that staff.

Aldyth