[Sca-cooks] skerrits?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Oct 25 11:09:52 PDT 2007

> okay, before i go off half cocked (or half cooked) on my
> English paper...
>
> skerrits are carrots... or carrot-like, correct?  the only
> google is for gunthar's skerrit and parnsip pie
> recipe/feast. 8)  forget the dictionary and encyclopedia!

Welll....

I wouldn't say that skerrits are all that carrot like, based on the
descriptions I've read-- but I've never seen them in real life. They
definitely aren't carrots though.

Found this:
SKERRIT, skarrett: skirret (Sium sisarum), a species of water parsnip
cultivated for its root. (John Evelyn, Cook, C17)
on http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/lane/kal69/shop/pages/glosss.htm
and it clicks with what I know.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa