[Sca-cooks] Wecker -- To Roast Salmon

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 7 04:56:44 PDT 2007

> On 10/7/07, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >  4.. Vorgemelte. I could find no literal translation of this word. I am
>> >translating it as "blend" because I think it may be related to the
>> >modern
>> >"schmelzen," "to melt." Schmelzen seems to imply high heat and
>> >industrial
>> >melting, so it is not a precise match. A Middle German replacement would
>> >be
>> >appreciated.
>
> It looks like (and my German is weak) the perfect verb form for
> 'before melt' or 'before melt'. My husband suggests 'to be melted'.
> I'm sorry I haven't been following the thread and don't have the word
> in context, or I might be of better help.  Or no help at all, as I'm
> sure my German stinkt. :)
>
> - Teceangl

The form of the word makes it a past participle (perfect tense) and the
context suggests that it means "before it has melted."  The problem is that
the root verb, presumably "melten" or "melzen" does not appear to be in use
in modern German.  The closest in Modern German is "schmelzen," which refers
primarily to smelting.  The question here is not so much of the meaning,
which is fairly clear from the context, but the precision of the
translation.

Thanks.

Bear