[Sca-cooks] groundnuts, continued - horchata

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 10 19:09:32 PDT 2007

<clipped>

> So probably what we were talking about isn't the groundnut, but the
> nutsedge...
>
> Devra the confused?

You have to be careful when using a common term such as "groundnut."  I've
encountered at least four different species of tuber on three continents
that are generally referred to as groundnuts.  The British use the term to
refer to peanuts.

I did find the comment about 1597 interesting.  It's referring to the
opinion that the potatoes John Gerard received in 1586 were American
groundnuts rather than white potatoes.  Gerard published his description of
"potatoes of Virginia" is his Herbal (1597).  An equally strong case can be
made that the potatoes Gerard received were Solanum tuberosum from
Cartagena.

Bear