[Sca-cooks] groundnuts (N o - pls), continued - horchata (Lilinah)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 13 20:24:56 PDT 2007

I have a few thoughts on this recipe as well.

Identifying the "silk almond" seems to be an issue.  Could this be the
almond while still young green, which are available for a very few weeks
in springtime?  The seed in the middle is soft and gel-like, could that
be called soft as silk?

An examination of the area map might be in order.  Perhaps there are
mountains to the east and the water from the rivers in that direction
are pure cool snow-melt;  or the wellspring to the east which feeds the
rivers is particularly pure or otherwise healthful.

I'm not buying the "mulberry" theory.  The seeds of the mulberry are
many and small and not flavorful, like other similar berries of multiple
drupes.  But I have had my differences of opinion with Charles Perry
before.

Selene