[Sca-cooks] Ideas for 1300 Italy

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 18 09:32:29 PDT 2007

The 1300's ought to be the mid 14th century, right?

There are some 14th century Italian manuscripts that have been published.

Take a look at Mistress Helewyse's Italian cookery pages at
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/

There's a list of what's available in terms of manuscripts and books
that she has found:
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/italianbibliography.html
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/Italianfoodmanuscripts.html

Libri de ricette, testi sopra lo scalco, il trinciante e i vini dal XIV
al XIX secolo.
contains the anonymous Venetian cookbook (Anonimo Venetiano) and the
anonymous Tuscan (Anonimo Toscano).  Both these recipe collections have
been transcribed and are available on the web.
The transcription of the Anonimo Toscano is available at:
http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/an-tosc.htm
<http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/%7Egloning/an-tosc.htm>
There is no translation of this.
The transcription of the Anonimo Venetiano is available at:
http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/frati.htm
<http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/%7Egloning/frati.htm>
The translation of this is available at:
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html
with an updated translation slowly being webbed at:
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libroenglish

Those might work for you.

Johnnae