[Sca-cooks] Medieval questioniare - tablecothes, buffets and tisane

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 28 13:59:14 PDT 2007

Suey wrote:
> 1. The tablecloth first introduced in Europe was by Ziryab, the Kurd,
> founder of the first conservatory of music which was in Cordoba. His
> tablecloth was leather. The surnape did not exist then on the 9th C.
> Muslim Hispanos were instructed to clean their knives and hands on the
> flatbread provided. Spaniards did not have trenchers.

I don't think that's entirely correct.  Ziryab (Abu al-Hasan Ali ibn
Nafi) may have introduced (or re-introduced) the tablecloth to
9th-century al-Andalus, but a very quick look through my own books
yields earlier examples of tablecloths in Europe.  For example Roy
Strong's _Feast_ has a sixth-century Roman mosaic of the Last Supper
served on a tablecloth.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,