[Sca-cooks] Jellies and Jams and Fruit Pastes, Oh My!

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Oct 29 18:49:30 PDT 2007

> Again, just to repeat, there are a number of jellies in English
>and German cookery books that don't contain fruit.

When you talk about what "Jelly" means in German cookbooks, you are discussing translation issues, the cookbooks use different words for sweet and non-sweet gel type dishes.

Non-sweet gels are "Galrat" which might be better translated as galantine than jelly, a clear rich broth that gels when cold and is sometimes used to decorate a dish of meat.  One dish is a feathered bird poised on a "lake" of galrat.

"Sülze" which is usually translated as aspic is cold meat in a gelled broth.  Both of them sometimes/usually are flavored with vinegar.

Fruit gels are "Confect" or "Latwerge".

Ranvaig