[Sca-cooks] Jam

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 30 09:57:32 PDT 2007

Let me add another term to our list: electuary.

An electuary is a medicinal concoction mixed with sugar, honey, or syrup.  Here's a recipe from de Nola, consisting of two parts cooked, pureed fruit to one part sugar.

98.	ELECTUARY (76) OF SOUR CHERRIES FOR SICK PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST
THE DESIRE TO EAT
LETUARIO DE GUINDAS PARA LOS ENFERMOS QUE HAN PERDIDO LA GANA DE COMER

Take as many sour cherries as you wish and put them in a saucepan upon the fire; and cast them in water by themselves,
and let them cook in that water until they turn very tender and appear white; and then throw out that water of theirs in
which they cooked; and then take a sieve of very thin horsehair, in which you can strain them, and rub them so much
with your hands that everything passes through.  Then for each pound of these cherries prepared like this, take half a
pound of sugar and mix it in your saucepan on a gentle fire, constantly stirring with a cane until they are cooked; and
then put it aside; and put this electuary in a vessel of glazed earthenware, well-stoppered; if you wish, you can put some
cloves and a little cinnamon in it.

(Ruperto de Nola, 1529; Translation copyright Robin Carroll-Mann)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.text

So... is this a "jam"?

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom