[Sca-cooks] Jam (was Medieval Questionnaire)

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 31 09:03:39 PDT 2007

Jadwiga wrote:
>It sounds like a marmalade to me, which is *a preserve* meant to be eaten
>with a spoon, and for which there are lots of 16th c. recipes.
>
>The key here would be 'keep it in a jar,' which is not a term I would
>associate with lechmeates, as they are a) generally meant to be eaten
>quickly, and b) would require a somewhat specialized jar (no neck) to be
>stored for slicing.
>
>This sort of thing is covered extensively in _Banquetting Stuffe_.

While researching all sorts of sweets for the Duchesses' Ball last
year, I read that in the 16th C. fruits pastes meant to be sliced
were kept in special boxes - these would be rather shallow and wide,
so the paste could be easily sliced and removed for serving.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita