[Sca-cooks] Bread Labor

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 31 10:41:32 PDT 2007

And certainly on in remote areas, small holdings and in earlier times,
it might
have been common for a family to raise grain, mill it at home and then
bake it
on  bakestone or under the ashes in some fashion (lacking the larger
bakeovens), but was this practice that generally common by
the 14th-16th centuries? I note your source is for 1100-1300. Does this
source apply to larger households
and estates?
Certainly manors and estates had divisions of labor and trade statutes
defined who baked
what and at what regulated cost? The Assizes for bread come into
existence in England in the 13th century.
I suppose the question is Can the person wishing to do the project
whereby they raise, mill
and bake the grain be able to research and prove that their persona in
that chosen period
would have done such a thing?  Acquiring the heirloom varieties of
grain, the land, appropriate
agricultural implements, the appropriate milling
stones, learning the techniques, assembling and building the bake oven,
etc. might take a number of
years. As Olwen used to remind us... let's hope they take pictures as
they progess...

Johnnae