[Sca-cooks] OT Ice Cream Recipes

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 16:23:15 PDT 2007

For Phlip and anyone else interested, here are the recipes for a couple of
ice cream flavors I mentioned in a previous post:

PEANUT BUTTER CUP ICE CREAM

1 1/8 C. good quality peanut butter (not natural)

¾ C. granulated sugar

1 ¼ C. whole milk

2 C. heavy cream

1 ½ t. pure vanilla extract

1 C. chopped chocolate peanut butter cup candies

In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer or whisk to combine the peanut
butter and sugar until smooth.  Add the milk and mix on low speed until
sugar is dissolved, about 1 or 2 minutes.  Stir in the heavy cream and
vanilla.  Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let
mix until thickened, about 25 to 35 minutes.  Five minutes before mixing is
completed, add the chopped candy and let mix completely.  The ice cream will
have a soft, creamy texture.  If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer
the ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer for about 2
hours.  Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

[My Notes:  I used Jif crunchy peanut butter, ‘cause it’s what I had in the
house.  I’m not sure why they say not to use natural peanut butter—I may
have to test that theory.  As I said in the other post, the taste was great,
but the texture and mouth feel were not good.  Texture was grainy and
crumbly.  Yeah, this stuff crumbled when you tried to put a spoon through
it.  It also left a “coated” feel in the mouth.  I don’t know it the
combination of peanut butter and heavy cream was just too much fat fighting
for supremacy, or what.  I do know that my experience with past projects is
that mixing sugar into peanut butter does create a potentially crumbly mass.
Not sure whether this one will be repeated or not.]

COFFEE BUTTER ALMOND ICE CREAM

4 T. unsalted butter

1 C. slivered almonds, roughly chopped

1 t. kosher salt

1 ½ C whole milk, chilled

1 1/8 C granulated sugar

3-5 T. instant espresso powder (to taste)

3 C. heavy cream

2 t. almond extract

1 t. pure vanilla extract

Melt the butter in a skillet.  Add the slivered almonds and kosher salt.
Cook over medium-low heat until almonds are toasted and golden, stirring
frequently, about 4 to 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat, strain (the butter
will have an almond flavor; can be reserved for another use).  Chill the
nuts.

In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the mile,
granulated sugar and espresso powder until the sugar is dissolved, about 1
to 2 minutes.  Stir in the heavy cream and extracts.  Process as in
preceding recipe, adding nuts at the end.

[My Notes:  This one was excellent.  We will be doing it again.  I only used
2 T. of butter, because 4 T. seemed like too much.  It worked fine.  We
could not find instant espresso at our local grocery, so I used regular
instant coffee—probably about 8 T.  A winner.]

Tonight I mixed up a light custard (1 C. whole milk, 2 C. heavy cream, 2/3
C. sugar, 6 eggs, 1 t. vanilla—cooked over a double boiler until it started
to thicken), and have it chilling.  Tomorrow I will process it through the
ice cream maker, and flame some sugar and crunch it up to add at the end.
My Darlin’ requested Crème Brulee Ice Cream, so I am going to see if I can
make it work.

I have got to find ways to take fat and sugar out of this stuff, and still
have something that he will enjoy.  Please don’t suggest that I try Splenda.
In our house, it is just as disgusting and foul tasting as any other sugar
substitute.  ::sigh::  It really bites to have a husband who is predisposed
to be thin while I am predisposed not to be.

Mairi Ceilidh