[Sca-cooks] groundnuts (N o - pls), continued - horchata (Lilinah)

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:18:24 PDT 2007

wrote
> I was re-reading the Anonymous Andalusian . . . and i noticed a beverage recipe
> that calls for "silk almonds" and i've been wondering since before i
> read Devra's post if the plant mentioned above might be what the
> recipe is asking for.

I going to put into [] to show what Huici says in his translation of the
same:
> Here's the Recipe, including Charles Perry's footnote:
>
> 11. Syrup of Harir [ftn 1: a warm drink imbibed at sunset to break Ramadam in Fez]: Way of Making It
>
> Take the almonds of silk [214] and extract from them the small seeds after removing their hearts, four ratls [Take the milk extracted from almond grains after removing the heart, 4 lbs]. Then divide almonds [almond] and clean the dirt from them [it], wash them [it] very well in cold water until softened, and drain the water. Then take water out of a river
> oriented Eastward; heat polished steel and cool it in this water until the water is reduced by half and changes color. Cook the harir in this water until its substance comes out; press it, and add to the water three ratls [lbs]of honey, cleaned of its [skim off] foam. The bag: half an uqiya [1/2 oz] each of cinnamon and cloves, an uqiya [1 oz] of ginger, an uqiya [1 oz]each of cubebs [kababa, ftn 2 pepper from China. In Fez a dish of kabab is made], long pepper and galingale [heath]. Then pound roots and put them in a bag, which is then tied with a strong thread and added to the honey and the clean part. Put it on the fire and cook it until a syrup is made. Drink two uqiyas [ozs ]of this with three of hot water. It profits in the lack of urine, and increases desire well; it dissolves
> the fat from all parts of the body and heats it well, God willing, by its generosity and virtue.
>
> [214] "harir" means silk; is this a recipe for seeds of the mulberry,
> on whose leaves silkworms feed?(CP)
    In the first sentence I think Huici is saying after shelling and
skinning almond to make almond milk with the fruit/nut. Where is the
'heart' in nuts? - that sounds like nuts to me. Now taking into account
that Huici died at the age of 93 in 1973 and was Chair of  the Ancient
and Medieval History Department at the Insitituto Luis Vives in
Valencia, I doubt that he ever knew where the kitchen was in his house
so he must be excused about not knowing the difference between the meat
and the "heart" of a nut. My non-religious daughter made a similar
mistake when translating the Spanish wedding mass of a first cousin into
English for British groom and the family who came to Valencia for the
event. She said something about the 'the meat' and turned purple red
when a Spaniard shouted from the congregation, 'the flesh'. She raised
her hands in dismay, turned to me laughing and attempted to cross her
eyebrows to try to seriously exclaim, "Mom where were you?" -  Thank
heavens she did make anymore mistakes cause my husband, son and I were
rolling in our pew in laughter! (You must try wedding ceremonies with
meat not flesh from now on they are much more entertaining.)
    The "harir" sounds like a very distant cousin of harira which we
traditionally drink at sunset in Morocco from the day we first went
there to today during Ramadan at sunset to break the fast which is very
rich with noodles, chicken or lamb and heaven knows what else but all we
have tasted is delicious even at truck stops on the roads of the Atlas
Mountains without even mentioning that served in friends' homes.
Lilanah, were you reading my mind or I yours last night when I made big
batch of harira before reading your message? I thought it was wonderful
when I tasted it hot in the pot but doggone today I don't like it. I
forgot the peppercorns, dang it! - the only ingredient harira might have
in common with "harir".
    -Could 'harir' be an horchata?- you ask. Horchata was made with
almond milk in Castile in the 15th century but not in Al Andalus between
the 12th - 15th. Hispano-Muslims always used the chufa nut or whatever
you call it (please, please chufas are not groundnuts, neither is a nut.
Both are tubers - that's all they have in common.) Traditionally
horchata is always served cold and is a summer time refreshing,
refreshing, refreshment while harira is warm, warm even when Ramadan
hits during summer months which is perhaps the only thing that connects
this recipe with it, plus that dagon pepper. Finally, I have never seen
an horchata recipe with honey or a harira one calling for that either.
    Taking into account that eating was medicine, eating was done to
promote good digestion and all that as seen in these medieval
manuscripts we study, harir or harira could mean 'silken' the way for
good digestion and therefore good health. I certainly feel that when I
drink harira which is so wholesome.
    This brings us back to the cycle of historical alimentation.
Medieval menus are based on organic food contrasted with gluttony. I
pass from the 'fast food' seen in our Spanish literature from the
Archiprest of Hita to Don Quijote to fast food sold on medieval streets
like your pies in England to fish and chips today, contrasted with
skinny 'bitches' like myself and my daughter who have to buy childrens'
clothing cause we only want organic stuff as we don't like junk food by
my favorite king is Henry IV of Castile, older brother of Isabel of
Castile, who lived in a saddle for 20 years as king, so when he could,
he devoured sausages without peeling the skins so he died of ulcers .  .
. and an American cousin who weighs ??? - no thanks to Mac D.  Food for
hought.
Suey

P.S. My dear Lilinah, don't prance around the mulberry tree any more.
Your silk is not there.